Wednesday, August 18, 2010

EAT PRAY LOVE

So my husband, Todd, and I went to see Eat Pray Love tonight.  Shortly after finding our seats and doing a little people watching while waiting on the previews to start, Todd says, "This is obviously a chick flick!"  I looked around and realized Todd was 1 of 4 men in the whole theater.  Poor guy!  I think he liked the movie though, at least a little bit. 

After watching Eat Pray Love I started thinking about how, as Americans, we are so consumed with making money so we can have things that we end up missing out on LIFE.  We work away our lives!  We think that having nice expensive things is going to make us happy, impress others, and maybe somehow increase our self worth in society.  How sad!  We end up missing out on all the things that matter.  In the end, when we look back on our lives we'll wonder, "what do I have to show for all this time I've spent working?" 

Seeing this movie, along with losing my dad to a motorcycle accident just 12 days ago, has awakened me to the realization we all know but seem to forget, that life isn't about having stuff.  It's about making the most of the time we have here on Earth.  It's about making a difference in another's life, getting to know people and loving them for who they are whether we agree with them or not, learning from these people and applying what we've learned to better our own situations.  Enjoying God's creation, and if possible, traveling to see His creation and experiencing life in those places.  It's about getting to know God, figuring out His plan for our lives, and carrying out that plan.  This life sounds much more fulfilling than a life filled with just a bunch of "stuff".                     

1 comment: